MTJ - Mass Transit Journal

This was once a daily account of my journey into the world of public transportation. Now, it's just a sports blog.

Comments: Post a Comment
Thursday, March 04, 2004
Last night was Bonzi Wells' return to Portland after being traded to the Memphis Grizzlies. The fans in the Rose Garden booed him when he was introduced, and booed him every time he came in or out of the game, and every time he touched the ball. Bonzi responded with his best game to date as a Grizzlie. After the game, which Memphis won, he said the fan's reaction made him "want to shoot 11 for 19 and score 28 points." Which he did. As the clock wound down, his Memphis teammates handed Bonzi the ball and he held it high as the last seconds ticked off. If I hadn't already added him to the list of quality players that the Blazers have traded that go on to be very successful with other teams, I would add him now.

I have a bet with a season ticket holder about who will get booed louder – Bonzi or Rasheed. He says Bonzi, I say Rasheed. He thinks Bonzi will, because the fans really loved him and he turned on them, where Rasheed was a jerk to begin with. I say Rasheed because he spoke out in the media about Portland's fans, and they were already booing him before he was traded. I'll let you know how it turns out.